Sunday, September 23, 2012

Being Lisbeth Salander

Actress Noomi Rapace, better know as Lisbeth Salander of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"



When I wrote "Murder in the Dog Park," I envisioned Jane Ronson to be a somewhat higher functioning version of Lisbeth transplanted to Baltimore with a bad ass dog as her partner in misanthropy. With such a rich character as my inspiration, I couldn't help but empower Jane with some of Lisbeth's skills-- kickboxing, computer hacking and street fighting. That's the fun of being a writer, you can drag and drop attributes into your characters. Here's an NPR interview with Noomi where she talks about how hard it was to let go of being Lisbeth:

 http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130838034

 

"To prepare herself physically for the role, Rapace put herself on a diet, cut her hair and colored it black, then got all those piercings. She wanted to be more masculine, she says, a bit flatter and more boyish in her body. Before shooting the film, she underwent a rigorous regimen of kickboxing and Thai boxing, four or five days a week for seven months."

 

"I wanted to do my [own] stunt scenes," she says. "And I wanted also to wake up some kind of aggressive side in me. I think that everybody has some kind of animal inside, and sometimes it's good to let it out."

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment